Monday 8 September 2014

Monday Makes: Lilac Bridal Comb


I love colour.  And I love it when brides decide to inject some life into their bridal attire with a little  colour, whether they go for vibrant, splashes of bright shades, or muted, subtle hues, it always shows a little daring and a lot of personality.

There are many ways to do this.  Some of the easiest are coloured wedding shoes (or even wellies), a showy umbrella, or my current favourite, a bright and cheerful cardigan!  Of course, all of these can be hidden when you want to go for the traditional bridal look, but some brides prefer to be a little more creative.  Our bride Sally got in touch after she'd seen our English Country Garden Headdress on Twitter.  Unfortunately this was a one-off vintage creation that had already sold (a bitter-sweet moment, it was and still is, one of my favourite pieces).  However, Sally came over to the studio so that she could see my collection of colourful brooches and vintage flowers, in the hope that we could recreate a similar design for her upcoming wedding.

One of my favourite vintage designs, image courtesy of Amy Lewin Photography

Sally explained that she wasn't just going for colourful accessories, but a bespoke lilac bridal gown too!  She wanted something to match this and decided that the flowers might not be the right way to go.  Like many, many brides, she was drawn to our Vintage Inspired Bridal Comb.   

By coming to the studio she was able to try our sample, check it fitted in her hair and gain an idea of size.  It ticked all the boxes but it needed some colour!  This is where having your accessories handmade, but a small business, really has its benefits.  We talked about the shades in Sally's dress and I was able to show her the pearls I already had in my (rather large) stock that I thought would match.  We picked out Swarovksi Crystal Pearls in Mauve as a perfect match and so the ever popular design had a little transformation!


The cool lilac tones work really well with the silver and I was really pleased with the result.  Sally commissioned some co-ordinating earrings, finished with the Swarovski white pearl, to complete the look.


And after the wedding she send us a picture of how she styled the comb in this beautiful updo!  I've seen some front shots on twitter too, and believe me, she looked amazing!  


Whether you go for bright colours or something more subtle, using colour is a great way to add some individuality and personality to your wedding day.   If you'd like to commission a bespoke piece (just like Sally) don't hesitate to get in touch.  I welcome visits to the studio and I'm happy to send out colour samples of pearls and crystals so that you can have a perfect match to your wedding colours/theme.  

Congratulations Sally!


Melissa
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment